Saturday, December 1, 2012

Berries, Berries, Berries, Holly Berries :-)

         I love the sight of berries on any holly, especially during and after a dust of snowflakes; they standout so beautifully. Also, holllies scream holidays! Since I moved my trees around, I had a large hole in my front yard that needed to be filled. I had set my heart on a holly because of the deciduous plants in the area where I removed my tree from. I was looking for an anchor for the area that would ground all the other flowers and also act as a sturdy backdrop to all the plants. 
        Today I finally bought one. I immediately asked my hubby to plant in the ground because of how late it is in the season. It's already made a difference in the way the area looks. I hope to dress it up in Christmas lights in the next few years :-)!
        I chose Nelli R. Stevens holly because of it's dark green color and fullness. Even though it does not get bright red berries, which I preferred, I could not go with the othe hollies as they either have too many spikes or don't look full.

       I have a total of four hollies; three of them are in the backyard and I think that this is enough. Hollies do get big (15x10) so  I have to be careful they don't take over my yard. In my previous house I had one and it grew so beautifully so I had to have one in this house. I am looking forward to the next five years when they are almost fully grown.


My current Nelli R. Stevens holly in the backyard

This is the Nelli R Stevens I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Using Facebook