Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Hummingbirds In My Garden!

Hummingbirds made for an amazing summer in my garden. I set out to create a  Hummingbird Garden this year.  It did not get to far because I planted it next to my big oak trees which suck all the nutrients and water from plants.

And the Cape Honeysuckle I had bought died because of too much water! That broke my heart because I brought it back from brink of death only to kill it with too much water.  It seemed like my garden was cursed to kill everything I had done to attract  hummingbirds.

To supplements the plants, I had also bought a hummingbird nectar feeder, clearly it did not attract birds as advertised. For months I did not see any birds feeding; I had given up hope of attracting hummingbirds!

Luckily I had also started a container garden which literally came to my rescue. I planted a variety of tropical plants in hopes of attracting these birds.

The star of my container garden was supposed to be the hibiscus. I bought not one but two, a red and a yellow hibiscus. They were already big and had beautiful blooms but no birds in sight.

Then, my petunias (pictured left) started growing and not only did they look beautiful hummingbirds also loved them. So, my love affair began when I saw my first hummingbird. For the first time I had 2 or 3 hummingbirds on my deck almost every day except on rainy days. They come twice a day, mid-morning and early evening.

Humming birds are so fast and sensitive to noise and movement; so capturing them on camera or video is a mission. And they only feed for a few seconds and fly away. But, as you can see in the video I was able to capture a minute of it. Now, I just enjoy watching them enjoying flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Using Facebook