Saturday, April 5, 2014

Spring 2013 - Winter 2014

Ester
Fall 2013 was short-lived as winter rolled in like an African afternoon thunderstorm over the Savanna; it came in quick. I love Fall season because it such a great weather in our area after a very hot summer. Fall colors, especially that of trees, are spectacular. In fall, weather is perfect and going for a walk in the evening is a must.

Summer was brutal to my flowers around the trees in the backyard; as a result my fall flower garden was not as beautiful. Most of my plants especially around trees did not grow as well.  I had to move some of my hostas away from trees to save them from hydration.

Planting around and near my trees has been challenging to say the least. I have flower beds around trees which were designed to be part of my shade garden. Trees have made it difficult for them to grow as they suck up all the moisture and food from plants. I will continue to monitor them this year and feed more to help my plants grow, but if they don't do well again, I will have no choice but to permanently move them.

Winter on the other hand is supposed to be mild in our area, but as you can see in the images it was brutal this year; not only in our area but in all of United States! Of course as a gardener, I think of my plants that cannot stand very low temperatures. This spring will be interesting to know which ones survived the winter. Overall, spring is promising and will post pictures hopefully at the end of spring 2014 or end of summer.

Front yard garden


Ester in front of Powis Castle Artemisia

Drakensberg Gerbera Performing reliably

My lantana doing so well but I have not been lucky to have them come back

My sedums are reliable performers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Using Facebook