Sunday, April 13, 2014

Spring 2014 Is Here!

 Spring 2014 is here and nothing makes me more excited than a non-winter season. Spring is not only is it the first season after winter, for me, it is a season filled with anticipation for what is about to sprout off the ground. I have so much to look forward to!
This is year 3 of my garden project, so what comes off the ground should be bigger and better. Everything is chugging along pretty well except for my Drakensberg Gerbera; fingers crossed that it makes it.

I had to make another trip to the garden center today, a second since the beginning of spring. I picked up mostly annuals and 3 perennials. I should stop buying now and just be patient and divide what I already have.

I also moved a lot of plants around to more permanent and suitable places within the yard. A lot of my hostas were not doing well because they were planted right under trees. Trees are sucking up all the nutrients from the soil, and they do not provide as  much shade as I expected; this was another reason to move them.

Humming Bird Feeder
The one thing I'm excited about the most this spring is my humming bird and butterfly garden. I have my bird feeder of course, honey suckle, butterfly bush, a bird bath, a humming bird feeder and planted some seeds for butterfly garden. You may not be able to see it until you click on the picture on the left.
fothergilla  in bloom

Fothegilla Flowers


White flowering dogwood

when my dogwood is fully grown, it will peek from behind a Japanese maple tree and a green huge Nellie R. Stevens holly.



Chaste Tree is coming along very well. It is full of new shoots.


Hollies thriving.





Little Ms Kim Lilac :)







vigorous growth by Oriental Lilies 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Using Facebook