Saturday, October 8, 2011

Retaining Wall, All By Myself!

I can visualize things and then try to create them. I wanted to create this retaining wall for a long time but I was not sure if I could do it. I finally bought the stone that matched our house and got started. The man in the stone place that helped me showed me what I needed to do and i went to work. I chose a dry stack wall to save time and money. I reinforced it with gravel so it can be sturdy. It was back-breaking work but it now finally done! Below is a picture of gravel stone I had to pour behind the wall to reinforce it and prevent stones from wobbling.
Once I completed the wall, I transplanted some hanging basket that were in the back of my house. Every year I am going to buy these hanging basket flowers and plant them so they can cascade down the wall. I had bought them at Duke Gardens sale and kept the names of the plants so I can recreate the baskets without paying a lot of money.
We are going to power-wash all the surfaces once we are completely done with everything, which I hope will be this Sunday! Below is the picture of my Coral Bark Japanese Maple. I hope it will thrive there even though there might be more shade than it needs. Also, you can see Creeping Jenny, a spreading ground cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Using Facebook